Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mattia Coletti 13 Questions



Mattia Coletti is a guitarist and record producer from Ancona, Italy. His name is often linked to indie and experimental rock around the label Wallace Records, as an active member in various projects and as artistic producer.



Thanks to the innate attitude for collaborations, he began very young to play with other musicians, organizing concerts, since he become a sound engineer and producer, as well as to run his own AME Records.
Precious is his solo activities that brought him many times on tour in Europe and Japan. As electric guitarist he also rocked bands as Sedia and Leg Leg, and even collaborate with Xabier Iriondo in the duo Polvere, and participate to the wallaceMailSeries with 61 Winter’s Hat.



Primitive blues, elegant and essential. The attention to the detail in a constant game of mirrors between the guitars. Avant folk or ritual blues, probably just melody, which merges with a psychedelic background never ostentatious. Electroacoustic sketches heritors of Gastr Del Sol and Jim O'Rourke, tracing an ideal common thread from John Fahey up to the more placid Animal Collective.



What do you remember about your first approach to music?

I remember a great curiosity a great desire to learn from the very 'beginning of the first was the attraction to the sound and how sound could be built and modulated I remember the first few times the guitar then try to playsome “metal” songs.



How's your musical routine practice?

I do not have a usual practice everything comes from the days where I lock myself in my studio at my house and after days of continuous recordings arrival to have the structures born of simple improvisations then build structures my musical activities is extremely practica.



What's the relevance of technique in music, in your opinion?

It's very important, the base and definitely more, the talent, dedication to music, is curiosity, it is the fun in playing, creativity but...  all these things if they are supported by technology can give an incredible result...

But the only technique that is a good idea is one that can join all together these things, and if they do, you can feel the difference...
 


Tell me one impossible project do you like to realize?

...being able to go with the music through every corner of the world
almost impossible...



Depict the sound you're still looking for, or the sound you'd like to hear.

I am always looking for changes
now
I'm trying to mix the electronic and acoustics music elements
I'm looking for a sound more and more liquid



How do you feel listening to your own music?

I try to listen to it a little bit
I'm a perfectionist in details, listening thousand times the mix before closing it,  but when it happens I listen to things done years before with bliss and attention to recover some things for the future material that I, for instance, had forgotten.



What special or extrange techniques do you use?

Nothing special

I just play guitar with my own feeling, and some fingerpicking techniques
but my idea of music is very primitive and simple, filled with concentration



Tell me one musical work which has provoked a change in your music.

Hard to find only one..
I can give you three names

GASTR DEL SOL “Camofleur”
NICK DRAKE “Pink moon”
AERIAL M “Aerial m”

these albums have changed my life



What is your relationship with other disciplines such as painting, literature, dance, theater ...?

A very important link

especially the art of the early twenty century
Futurism and Suprematism an all European avant-garde
cinema, and the food ...
the culture of food in the world...

these things give me a lot of inspiration



Where are your roots? What are your secret influences?

like the number 4...above.

and the people, for sure
the most important thingo.. i love to travel a lot
my roots... I came from a small village in the center of Italy, in the east coast, in front of the sea...
so, my roots are very near to the sea and the wind



What quality do you most empatize with in a musician?

The attitude, the feeling, the spirit...



What instruments and tools do you use?

Guitars, electric and acoustic percussion and drums
pedals
microphones
voice
and the mixers, I love to play the mixers,
and mixing to try to have different ways of sounds...



What projects are you working on now and what does the future hold?

I finished now the touring dates of my last album MOON so, I ll start on summer to recording 4 songs for a new project it will be a duo with a japanese songwriter we will produced an ep for the japan and italian labels so, in spring 2016 we will touring togheter in italy and japan



SELECTED DISCOGRAPHY




2005 Mattia Coletti - Zeno 
(CD album, Wallace Records)

2007 Mattia Coletti - Zeno Submarine 
(CD album, Wallace Records/Towntone)

2009 Mattia Coletti - Pantagruele 
(CD album, Wallace Records/Towntone)

2010 Mattia Coletti - My Town/Flora/Where Were You 
Split album con Comaneci e Muffin 
7", Brigadisco, Palustre Records, Towntone, Geiger Records, North Pole Records

2012 Mattia Coletti - Tape Crash#2 - Split album con Mesta 
(Cassette, Old Bycicle Records)

2012 Mattia Coletti - The Land 
(CD album, Wallace Records, Bloody Sound Fucktory)

2014 Mattia Coletti - The Moon
(CD album, Wallace Records, Bloody Sound Fucktory)



2004 & Sedia - Sedia 
2006 & Sedia - The Even Times 
(CD, Wallace Records)

2004 & Winter's Hat - 61 Winter's Hat 
(CD, Wallace Records)


2006 - & Christa Pfangen -Watch Me Getting Back The End 
(CD, Die Schachte)

2006 - Polvere
(CD, 10", Minority Records, TownTone, Wallace Records)

2009 & Leg Leg - Manta
(CD, Wallace Records)


2005 - Andrea Belfi, Mattia Coletti Key On A Tongue 
(CDr, Frame Records)

Foto di Pierdomenico Mongelli
 Facebook | Soundcloud | Myspace | Discogs | Bloodysoundfucktory | Wallace Records