Saturday, March 28, 2015

Roberto Pianca 13 Questions



Photo Nicolas Masson

Born 1984, guitarist/composer Roberto Pianca studied music at the Amsterdam Conservatory (NL). He has played and worked with a variety of notable artists including Joey Baron, Russ Lossing, John O’Gallagher, Mark Ferber, Johannes Weidenmüller, Rafael Schilt, Christoph Irniger, Stefano Senni, Ben Syversen, Flin Van Hemmen, Jake Saslow, Colin Stranahan, Greg Ruggiero, Sienna Dahlen, Louise Dam Eckardt Jensen, Dan Kinzelman, and Savina Yannatou a.o.



Photo Igor Ponti

Beside performing internationally with his own group and other different projects, he’s co-leading Third Reel, a mutual collaboration with saxophonist Nicolas Masson and drummer/pianist Emanuele Maniscalco (the band joined prestigious and legendary german label ECM’s catalogue in 2013), and Rocky Wood, a five-piece critically acclaimed pop/folk band. Played venues and festivals in Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Greece, USA and Canada.


Photo Marcel Meier

What do you remember about your first guitar?

I remember receiving a classical guitar from my parents when I was a kid, right after that an Eko stratocaster-like electric guitar I bought for 200 swiss francs.



Roberto Pianca - guitar, Pearson Constantino - guitar/piano/laptop


Can you describe a sound experience that you believe contributed to your becoming a musician?

Probably listening to Jimi Hendrix's solo on "All Along The Watchtower" and a Wes Montgomery Trio record, both heard when I was a teenager.



Which was the first and the last record you bought with your own money?

I don't remember the first one, but I recently bought For Django by Joe Pass.




How is your work routine?

If I'm not on the road or busy with rehearsals and other things, I wake up and sit in front of my computer to deal with emails, booking and all that stuff, then I pass to some practicing in the afternoon, sometimes I do it the other way around.


Nicolas Masson - tenor sax, Roberto Pianca - guitar, Emanuele Maniscalco - drums

What’s the difference between a good instrument and a bad one?

Bad instruments make you feel depressed after a gig.



What's the relevance of technique in music, in your opinion?

Many people think that technique is really just about being able to play fast and/or complicated stuff, to me, technique has to do with a lot more than that, a good use of concepts such as rhythm feel, hearing, aesthetics, dynamics and sound, are way more important. But if you are a virtuoso, many things seem easier to play, so if your able to wisely combine all of these aspects to make music, the result might end up being really spectacular.

Roberto Pianca, guitar, Dan Kinzelmann, sax, Stefano Senni, double bass, Alex Huber, drums

What's your best musical experience?
Although I've had a few really great experiences so far, I hope my best ones are yet to come.


Dan Kinzelman - Saxophone, Roberto Pianca - Guitar, Stefano Senni - Bass, Alex Huber - drums

What’s your craziest project about?

I play the bass in a cover band with my uncle Luca (Pianca), we play soul and rock tunes from the '60, I don't know if that's crazy but it's a lot of fun.



How would you define music?

Maybe one of the highest forms of expression that was ever invented by humans.



What would you enjoy most in an art work?

Honesty and/or craftsmanship.


Rafael Schilt, tenor sax, Roberto Pianca, guitar, Roberto Bordiga, bass, Emanuele Maniscalco, drums

Which living or dead artist would you like to collaborate with?

Many I guess, but Lester Young is one of my favourites.



What do you like the most about being a musician?

Free meals at gigs. Well, also the feeling that, for a split second, everything it's in the right place while playing. Traveling with funny musicians too.

Rafael Schilt, tenor saxophone, Roberto Pianca, guitar, Roberto Bordiga, bass, Emanuele Maniscalco, drums

What projects are you working on now and what does the future hold?

I'm working on my own band, trying to finally find the time (and money) to go into the studio and record a bunch of tunes I wrote in the last couple years. Other than that, my second ECM album with collaborative group Third Reel, coming out in May and paired with a tour with bassist Thomas Morgan. Pop/folk band Rocky Wood, and some touring with great saxophone player John O'Gallagher.



Third Reel – Many More Days (ECM 2015 release date tba)
Rafael Schilt Quartet – A Sound (WideEar 2015)

Needle (duo with Pearson Constantino)
(2015)

Rocky Wood – Shimmer 
(Sangue Disken 2014)

Charlie Roe – Pomegrenades Attack 
(EP/Mammut Project 2013)



D.Kinzelman/R.Pianca/S.Senni/A.Huber – Why Don’t You Go Outside? 
(WideEar 2013)

N.Masson/R.Pianca/E.Maniscalco – Third Reel 
(ECM 2013)




Webpage | Facebook | MySpace | Soundcloud| Rocky Wood